According to experts, if you are deciding on funeral services, make sure to ask what is not included in the quoted price. CBC Marketplace and Toronto Star recently found out that staffs from funeral homes run by a large Canadian chain are promoting expensive package deals with big mark-ups.
Josh Slocum, a consumer advocate and executive director of US-based Funeral Consumer Alliance advises people to discuss plans with the family and know what type of funeral services fit their budget. Even if the death has just occurred it is important to compare quotes from at least 3 or 4 funeral homes in order to find the most cost effective.
According to industry insider Shane Neufeld, people should always ask the funeral director what is not included in the quoted price. Always insist on written quote with corresponding signature because there are funeral homes wherein the quoted price does not include expensive extras like the casket, burial or cremation.
In many instances, families think that they have to decide immediately because the body has to be moved upon the time of death. If the person dies in a hospital, there is sufficient time for the family to decide on which funeral service to use. If the body has to be moved immediately, it is important to establish what the funeral home will charge in case a transfer will be made later on.
If the grieving family has to make the funeral arrangements, it makes sense to bring along a friend or someone who is not emotionally involved on the death. They are in a better position to help in making decisions because they are not vulnerable.
Neufeld also advises people to ensure that they are dealing with a licensed funeral director and not someone who will be earning a commission from the funeral home.
At Sydney funeral services, the funeral director will be on hand to help in the choice and preparation of funeral arrangements. Funeral directors understand that grieving families need all the support and help they can get during the saddest moment in their life. Assistance will be provided to ensure that all details will be taken care of.
Chile, known as the ‘land of fire and ice’ is a country of extreme contrasts (in view and weather) and has some of the most spectacular landscapes on the planet. This long and narrow country stretches over 5,000 km from north to south, starting from the Tropic of Capricorn to within reach of Antarctica. As Chile’s geography is extreme, so are its highlights. Here are 5 of the best places in Chile to chill at.
- Torres del Paine – Soaring more than 2000 metres above the Patagonian steppe, the granite Towers of Paine dominate the landscape of what may be South America’s finest national park. The park is part of Unesco’s Biosphere Reserve system since 1978, where it is home to flocks of ostrich-like rhea, the Andean condor, flamingo and many other bird species. Its star success in conservation is undoubtedly the guanaco, which grazes the open steppes where pumas cannot approach undetected. After more than a decade of effective protection from poachers, these large, growing herds don’t even flinch when visitor, on foot or in vehicles, approach.
- Easter Island – Known as one of the most isolated places on Earth, it is blessed with the most logic-defying statues in the world which emanates a magnetic, mysterious vibe. However, Easter Island is also famous for its diving, snorkelling and surfing opportunities. Choose between experiencing the island by foot or on horseback, or just chill on blankets of white sand.
- Geysers el de Tatio – At an altitude of 4320 metres, 90 kilometres north of San Pedro de Atacama in Chile is El Tatio, known as the world’s third largest geyser field, and home to 80 active geysers. It is aptly named too as El Tatio is a native American word for ‘oven’. Experience the geyser bubbling creating a fog when the sun sets and if you’re up for it, don’t forget to bring your swimming suit to enjoy the hot springs!
- Valparaiso – Valparaiso is recognized worldwide as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, for its beautiful, vulnerable, bustling hillside port. It is well maintained and deserving of its heritage award for it architecture, design, history and cultural contributions. If you love dwelling in history, viewing street art, and experience the bohemian life, Valparaíso is a must to visit whenever you’re in Chile.
- Atacama Desert – This desert is the driest place on earth, seeing only four inches of rain every thousand years. The desert spans over 600 miles from southern Peru to Chile’s central Pacific Coast and is perhaps known for its charming town that lies somewhere in the middle of all this. In other words, in the middle of nowhere. This little town by the name of San Pedro, has preserved all its primitive magic, with history of being taken over in 1450 by the Incas and has since incorporated into the Hispanic culture in 1536.
If you’re looking to explore more of Chile, try booking one of the many South America Tours that would meet what you need and can afford to make a getaway experience you’ll never forget!
Rodrigo Duterte, the president of the Philippines, is set to go to Thailand for a visit which is focused on strengthening the friendship that is present between the two nations. This is according to a statement from Werachon Sukondhapatipak, a deputy government spokesman.
The agenda of the visit will have high emphasis on issues regarding security. Lt. General Werachon also said that the two countries will be discussing issues regarding the suppression of drugs, solving problems that is present in the disorderly parts of Mindanao which is a city located in the south of the Philippines that is the home based of The Moro Islamic Liberation Front, an armed group, as well as cooperation between the two nation’s intelligence agencies.
Duterte is expected to arrive in Thailand on the evening of March 20 and he will be welcomed at the military airport of Bangkok as an official visitor of the government as guest.
The trip was made after Duterte’s visit to Myanmar which lasted for two days. After a two-day stay in Thailand, the president will be going back to Manila, Philippines as a conclusion to his introductory visits among Asean countries which started after he took office June of 2016.
According to Charles Jose, a spokesman for the Philippine Foreign Affairs, the president’s visit to Thailand will be a chance for the Prime Ministed Gen Prayut Chan-o-Cha to have a bilateral meeting with him. The two will be discussing matters that are of mutual concern to the two nations such as defense cooperation, political, educational, economic, energy, and agricultural issues.
President Duterte will also be talking with Thai officials regarding additional ways that can be done to improve the trade and investment that is currently ongoing between the two countries. They will also be discussing about the welfare of Filipino citizens that are residing and working in Thailand as well as the chairmanship of the Philippines in the coming Asean 2017.
During and after the visit of the president of the Philippines to Thailand, it is expected that more tourists from his home country will want to visit and stay at a hotel near Central World.
The concept of ecotourism has long emerged in the island of Tobago and received enough support from their local and national government. Efforts to preserve natural environments and wildlife are already initiated.
Ecotourism is a responsible visitation to exotic, natural environments, and support conservation efforts and socio-economic involvement of the inhabitants. Headed by an environmentalist working with the World Conservation Union, Hector Ceballos-Lascurain is an architect who wanted to design framework supporting the concept of ecotourism. With his expertise and knowledge, they were able to successfully carry out their mission that was first initiated in the early 1990s. As a matter of fact, their efforts to conserve natural environment earned praises from the national government. As part of the advocacy, they built a number of large resorts and apartments in the island. The village of Castara had been one of the lucky towns to have received monetary funds for the construction of environment friendly resorts. Furthermore, Castara apartments have built trees within their vicinity and other related activities to show support to ecotourism. They have been closely working with the local ecological authorities to assure compliance to their regulations that would help them garner top ratings for sustainability.
For almost 20 years now Castara apartments have been initiating activities to support the advocacy of their locality. From having sea turtle conservation program to breeding program for several endangered species; everyone seemed to have fully embraced the idea of ecotourism. It is very noticeable that local inhabitants are very participative to any undertakings in the island. Becoming receptive to changes in their way of living and business systems made it a lot easier for the ecological authorities to impose policies and procedures to support ecotourism and achieve its sustainability. People believe that by taking part in the advocacy of their community, they are not only saving their environment but also their reputation.
However, there are some inevitable trade-offs between development and protecting environment. The tourist industry in the area undoubtedly has influenced to some extent the initiatives to environment and cultural preservation. It only shows that in every endeavour to achieve a desired change, there might always be a dilemma anchored to it. Nevertheless, people in the island still firmly stand for what they believe and continue creating initiatives for the conservation of the natural environment and preservation of their culture.
If you are in Patong, Thailand, it is only natural for you to look for American restaurants in Patong after you have tried every single, popular local dish in the area. While it can be exciting to try out exotic or foreign food, there will come a point where your taste buds would look for something your mouth is accustomed to. If you are not used to American food but you want to try one, the next best thing that you can do is get to a nearby American restaurant and expect the following:
American dishes and its variety
American dishes come in a wide range of variety. The food that you can expect from an American restaurant depends on their branding but in general, you will find American food staples such as burgers and its variety, hash browns, chicken wings and its variety, garden fresh salads, sandwiches, soups, fries and the typical drinks such as beer and cocktails if you are going to a sports bar. Check on the restaurant’s available deals and promos to lower down your food expenses.
Cozy and comfortable environment
One of the things that American restaurants in Patong is popular for is its cozy ambiance. You can go to an American restaurant at your most comfortable garb such as a casual shirt and beach shorts and no one will mind you. American restaurants come in comfortable diner seats that you can relax and have lengthy chats with friends and loved ones. Most of these restaurants are designed to give their customers that Sunday morning feels complete with friendly service crew that would make you feel like home even if you are in Thailand.
Sumptuous food in a heartbeat
The typical dishes found in American restaurants in Patong are easy to prepare which is why it is the go-to restaurants for those who want a delectable meal without waiting for an hour just to have it. If you are famished from your sea adventures and water activities, get into an American restaurant to fill your cravings and have a hearty meal in an instant.