Sheffield, South Yorkshire – September 1, 2015 – During a meet up with Paul from Pro Jet, he had greatly stressed the importance of maintaining one’s plumbing system during the fall or in other countries, Autumn. Most of the time, people would only start to care for their plumbing during the winter when they should have been doing that long before. Autumn serves as a chilling reminder that it’s all going to get worse in the winter. That is why it is important that you already start preparing during the fall so as to avoid serious problems when winter arrives.
According to Paul, the best way to keep your plumbing maintained during autumn is to follow the tips below.
- When you leave the outside water hoses connected, they may freeze during the winter. What’s worse is that the freezing can expand all the way to the pipes and faucets inside the house which can cause breakage. Always make sure to disconnect outside water hoses.
- When you see your outside faucets dripping or leaking, you should immediately call a plumber to repair the leaks because when winter arrives and the water freezes, the buildup of frozen water can cause cracks, no matter what the pipes are made of.
- Drain the water from outside lines and shut off the interior valves.
- Using Styrofoam insulation kits, which can be bought at home centers, cover the outside faucets.
- Heat is an important necessity during the cold season that is why you should insulate unheated areas like the garage or the basement. Also, make sure to insulate the pipes that are prone to freezing by covering them with heat tape.
- To avoid cold penetration, make sure that leaks on doors are sealed.
- Clean and repair your water heater because they work twice as much during the cold season.
- Always make sure to keep good maintenance on the water heaters .
- When you leave your house for a significant amount of time, make sure to drain the water system by opening the faucets of the highest and lowest points of the house. Also, shut off the main water valve.