The council of Kamloops has rolled back its ban on outdoor wood-fired boilers that have been in place for more than a decade; however, two councilors have argued that it can impact on air quality. According to Glen Cheetham, sustainability services supervisor, the city regulation prohibits the use of such devices that were developed during the time when there were no laws that regulate boilers.
New government regulations took effect last May 1 and Cheethman said that it makes the city ban redundant. Provincial rules allow boilers that meet the set standards for emissions at federal level to be installed 40 meters away from property lines. The change will provide an opportunity for companies and organizations to install biomass burners to meet the target in greenhouse gas reductions.
Since the boilers use renewable fuel in the form of wood or wood waste, they are considered as carbon neutral. If the devices are used responsibly, space heat can be produced without GHG emissions. However, city councilors Tina Lange and Denis Walsh have concerns on the lifting of the ban because it can lead to an increase in particulates in the environment.
Neither of the councilors was convinced that the provincial regulations on how boilers can be installed and operated will be enforced. Monitoring will not happen because of the lack of resources. The 40-meter setback rule will not stop companies from using burners in the Mission Flats area. The ban could remain but variance applications may be considered if the property owners outside the valley bottom want a boiler.
On the other hand, councilor Kent Christian said the idea seems counter-intuitive because removal of the ban means boiler technology is no longer the garbage it was when the laws took effect. Existing ways of heating the home release harmful emissions. Wood-fired boilers will reduce rotting and decaying wood from the forest floor.
Boilers today use different types of fuel from mains gas, natural gas and biomass. However, the way that boilers are maintained and repaired remains the same. Boiler repairs are still required whenever there are issues with performance or if the components are no longer in good working condition.
Honda bikes are some of the most expensive bikes in the market today. As a matter of fact, their prices are close to the price of some cars. Honda bikes can also be considered as an investment and you can include it in your assets. If you are having second thoughts about buying a Honda bike, take a look at these ideas.
- Honda is Honda. There can be no question about it. The brand is almost synonymous to quality, durability and of course, elegance. Honda is a high-end brand and is associated with luxury especially when one looks at its price. It could reach up to thousands of pounds that most dealers offer loans for the unit to make it easier to the customer’s pocket.
- Wide availability of service centres. A manufacturer’s product commitment does not end once the unit is sold. As a matter of fact, their service continues by providing service centres to their customers. The good thing about reputable brands such as Honda is that they can afford to provide service centres worldwide. So wherever you are, whether in UK or in other parts of the world, you won’t have to worry about your Honda bikes because they can always be afforded quality service by qualified mechanics if you need one.
- Variety of choices. One advantage of shopping for a reputable and established brand is that they have numerous units and models for you to choose from. You will never run out of choices and some of their units have updated models so you can always enjoy the latest and the most updated bike for Honda.
- Simple yet elegant look. Another reason why Honda bikes are popular is due to their design. No matter what your personality or lifestyle is, Honda will always have a design suited to your personality.
- Performance and mileage. Honda bikes are known for its unique engine technology. Anyone who owns a Honda motorcycle can attest to its unrivalled performance, mobility, ease of use and reliability on the road. It has safety features that ensure security of the user while on the road.
Let’s say you’re the CEO of one of the commercial office fit outs companies in your city and you want to boost your reach in terms of number of clients. Below are some tips to achieve a more blossoming business:
- Make sure that every time you do an office fit out, you know the primary objective of the said decision. Whether it’s for the company you are dealing with is in need of larger space to accommodate an equally larger workforce or, the company who needs you expertise in office fit outs, is in need of smarter offices to improve the overall image of the entire company, it’s recommended that you, as a commercial office fit outs company, know and understand each objective so that you would know how to you will work around to complete that specific objective.
- Continuously hold consultation talks with the affected individuals before starting the office fit outs. This includes talking with the employees, department heads, IT professionals and, both external and interior consultants. Also, it’s recommended that you approach the landlord of the building to early on discuss every detail of the project. Check the proposed charges the company will have to pay so you can give them an estimated cost.
- Once the project is starting to roll, make sure that you assign one of your most project managers who will be present on time during working hours to supervise everything that is going on with the project.
- Just like in anything else, managing your own commercial office fit outs firm will be much easier if you are surrounded by the qualified partners, helping you in every project. Whenever you are choosing a partner for your company, whether it’s a design consultant, mechanical and electrical engineer, or an IT consultant, you must double check their track records before hiring them to make sure that they will be able to help you grow your company.
- Make sure that you always have a clear timetable of the key stages of your projects so you will be able to keep track of what is needed to be completed at a certain point. Make sure that every progress the project is making is being tracked.
The University of Missouri recently discovered that they will be able to save a number of million dollars each year if they were to take steps in verifying the dependents of the system’s employees and make sure they are eligible to be included.
The steps to verify are being done in order to ensure that the information regarding the dependents that are listed on the health insurance of the employees is updated and recent. Employees were required to present some necessary documents including the birth certificate, marriage certificate, federal tax returns of the dependents. There are rare cases wherein court documents are asked.
According to the preliminary report that was submitted by the department of Human Resources of the University of Missouri to the Intercampus Faculty Council, the implementation of the audit will be able to save the University of Missouri system around $3.736 million. This information was shared by the chairman of the University of Missouri faculty council, Ben Trachtenberg.
Trachtenberg also added that every year they are also conducting a small percentage of spot checking to ensure that the records they have are updated. What they don’t realize is that it is the SOP that a 100 per cent audit should be conducted once every few years.
According to the University of Missouri News Bureau’s director, Christian Basi, there are a number of instances when the dependents’ status under the health insurance of an employee could change such as change of custody, divorce, and a child that is no longer qualified since he or she has reached the maximum age to be covered by the insurance of the parent who is an employee.
Basi added that the savings indicated on the report is only an approximate since it will be hard for them to calculate the exact amount based on various reasons. There are those that may have updated the status of the dependent during the announcement of the audit without waiting for the actual schedule which means that they are not counted in the savings’ total. This is the reason why when doing an audit, an accountant insurance should be acquired to protect the person or system.
According to experts, if you are deciding on funeral services, make sure to ask what is not included in the quoted price. CBC Marketplace and Toronto Star recently found out that staffs from funeral homes run by a large Canadian chain are promoting expensive package deals with big mark-ups.
Josh Slocum, a consumer advocate and executive director of US-based Funeral Consumer Alliance advises people to discuss plans with the family and know what type of funeral services fit their budget. Even if the death has just occurred it is important to compare quotes from at least 3 or 4 funeral homes in order to find the most cost effective.
According to industry insider Shane Neufeld, people should always ask the funeral director what is not included in the quoted price. Always insist on written quote with corresponding signature because there are funeral homes wherein the quoted price does not include expensive extras like the casket, burial or cremation.
In many instances, families think that they have to decide immediately because the body has to be moved upon the time of death. If the person dies in a hospital, there is sufficient time for the family to decide on which funeral service to use. If the body has to be moved immediately, it is important to establish what the funeral home will charge in case a transfer will be made later on.
If the grieving family has to make the funeral arrangements, it makes sense to bring along a friend or someone who is not emotionally involved on the death. They are in a better position to help in making decisions because they are not vulnerable.
Neufeld also advises people to ensure that they are dealing with a licensed funeral director and not someone who will be earning a commission from the funeral home.
At Sydney funeral services, the funeral director will be on hand to help in the choice and preparation of funeral arrangements. Funeral directors understand that grieving families need all the support and help they can get during the saddest moment in their life. Assistance will be provided to ensure that all details will be taken care of.