In response to the increase of people using the bus to Bangkok from Chiang Mai following the Songkran Festival, which runs annually from April 13-15, the Royal Thai Police responded by doubling down on security precautions. This is in order to support the thousands upon thousands of people returning to the capital, as well as to maintain order, curb crime and to stop the trafficking of illegal paraphernalia.
The RTP released a statement following the Songkran Festival, via their Deputy Spokesman Police Colonel KrissanaPatanacharoen, which revealed that the RTP expected at least 120,000 travellers heading into the capital by train alone, with more taking the plane and the bus to Bangkok from Chiang Mai. And, in response to these expectations, the police beefed up security at the capital’s travel hubs in order to control traffic and to keep an eye on transport operators.
Traffic headed towards the capital saw a boost thanks to people heading back for work following Songkran, with Lampang’s Provincial Disaster Prevention Office reporting that one day say approximately 2,040 vehicles crammed into a single road headed for the capital within an hour. Chiang Mai, meanwhile, added 30 additional 30 buses to run for the 112,600 tavellers that wished to take the bus to Bangkok from Chiang Mai following the national holiday. However, ChanchaiKilapaeng said that the number of people travelling back to the capital by bus was actually down from last year by about 20% thanks to many opting to travel via the low-cost flights.
The KhlongLuang district’s Paholyothin Road saw an surge in cars travelling its length to the capital, though the traffic was still moving around the usual rate of 80kph. NakhonRatchasima province’s Mitraparp Highway saw a bit of congestion at its bottlenecks and intersections, which made the local police open the special lanes located in Noen Sung and Pak Chong in order to alleviate the traffic.
Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith paid a visit to the Highway No. 3263 in the Bang Ban district, following an incident of a vehicular pile-up on the 15th of April that lead to 26 injured and 3 dead. The Highway Department already has plans set up to deal with the problem, Arkhom says.